Founded in 1850 as the Ayr Union Curling Club, the Ayr Curling Club has grown from its humble roots to become a leading curling facility in the Grand River Area.
In the 1800s and until the mid-1900s, Club members carried on the curling tradition on local ponds including the Nithvale Dam, Morton's Lake, Reidsville Lake, and Jedburgh Dam. These hardy souls braved the colder months to throw hand-carved rocks at a "T" in the centre of a circle.
Town chronicles record an event in 1884 which showed the club's zeal for the pursuit of curling. In the aforementioned year, the local foundry, the John Watson Mfg. Co., closed for half a day so its employees could journey to Reidsville to play in a local bonspiel.
Gone Curling at Reidsville
At the time, workers sacrificed an average wage of $1.25/hr earned over a work day from 7 am to 6 pm.
In the mid-1900s, club members elected to build a curling arena. While this building was established in 1966, the Ayr Curling Club Rink (the first covered arena) wasn't officially opened until January 25, 1967 (Robbie Burns' Day).
In 2000, Club members celebrated their rich curling heritage, and returned to Mill Pond to curl and celebrate the club's 150th anniversary.